Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Why I LOVE Japanese Games Part 3: Persona



The next Jrpg series that I will be talking about will be on the Persona series or the shin magami tensei persona series if your a die hard SMT fan. Before writing this script I finished the most recent game in the series titled persona 5 which has to be the game of 2017 in my opinion. Anyways this isn’t about Persona 5 it’s about how I got into the series and why I love the persona series and the like. Please note that I haven’t played the first two or the second game’s sequel innocent sin and only played the third,forth,4 arena,and recently five. So far I enjoyed every game in the persona series I played so far but for right now im going to explain how I got into the awesome series. Let me tell you a story that one day I stumbled on persona 3 portable on a emulator out of curiosity and boredom. It was late at night so what did I did I played it of course and the first couple of minutes I was hooked due to the characters and how the used the overused anime high school setting into a more realistic one like teachers that TEACH, students that act like students, clubs or sport practices and the like. What got me into the game was the tartaus segments or the dungeon crawling segments due to me playing this game at night and tartaus only comes out at night I felt like I was in a horror movie. I’m over exaggerating here but if you stood at a floor for too long the reaper super boss appears and boy you DON’T WANT TO ENCOUNTER IT. You will know when its going to get you when you hear chains making that shackle sound. That sounds makes me shiver every time I was on a floor for to damn long. the soundtrack for that game is so weird and unusual at the time for me due to not hearing engrish rap that will sound corny to jrpg fans and some hardcore hiphop fan and thats the main battle theme. Overtime that same battle theme will grow on you over time even you are not playing the game. Other themes like the night time travel theme when going out at night, or the secondary school theme or the first one makes you feel like your at school. My favorite has to be the dorm theme it has that chill feel to it. The game play is like you traditional turn based jrpg but you use persona’s (think of stands from JOJO) I will explain personas abit later on oh what the heck let me explain them now. A persona is mostly like a persons self or shadow or inner self (man I need to not fast forward on the explanation on personas) that manafest into a stand like being or physical form. They are used to mostly attack shadows (monsters are called this in the persona games) by using magic points or sp in the persona games. Your main character can change personas at will but most persona games you get them by fighting them in battles and engaging in a mini game to get personas or money or bonus exp. In five however you can hold a shadow by gunpoint and make them join you or give you items or money or you can just kill them. Also you can gain personas by fusing them you obtain in battle to make a stronger persona but you have to be in the same level as that persona you fused. Also another interesting mechanic about persona 3 through 5 is the social links system. This system alows you to understand your fellow party members and certain classmates through these events and also gets you bonus exp for their attribute for the persona that you are fusing or getting new abillties like party members helping you and the like. Then a year or two later after I gotten a ps vita from my grandpa I gotten persona 4 golden and man I spent countless hours on that game but gotten stuck on a boss but still on the game digitally but my ps vita charger is broken at the moment so I cant play it. While playing persona 4 golden I fell in love with the Japanese countryside setting, the awesome characters, game play mechanics are abit more easier to gain personas, the ost has to be and still the best in the series. Even the slow beginning is engaging because your just a boy who is staying with his uncles house for a year while your parents are out on business. This entry has a scoobie do feel to it due to you guys being teenagers with a teddie bear mascot as a party member. Now recently I finished persona 5 in this video I will not tell you the story and you have to buy the game yourselves sorry for being a jerk but I want you guys to have the experienced that I had with the game. My mom gotten me this game for my birthday and after I gotten it from the mail I entered it in my ps4 and oh boy I was hooked from beginning to end due to again the story, characters, game play, and the graphic style atlus chose for the game. Again im not saying much about this game but what are my thoughts about. After playing a couple of hours on my first sitting my bro wanted to play the game due to him watching me play it and he was hooked as well and he loves JRPGs and rpgs for the matter. The gameplay is AWESOME instead of pressing X button on your ps4 controller to navigate through the menus instead you press triangle to summon your persona, square for items, X button to attack with your weapon, circle to defend, up direction pad button to use your gun right trigger to use other commands like flee and analyze enemies. This makes the battles much more engaging and fun also the menu design of the game is original to the point that even Japanese games dont have the same style and flair as persona 5 does just look at some screen shots on it’s menu system on google. The sound track has this bossa nova jazz like sound to it but hey it fits the thief theme pretty damn well at least. So before I end the video let me share my recommendations for persona. First start with five because its the easiest to get the hang of it, than persona 4 golden on the ps vita, than finally persona 3 portable due to having the option to control your party members. So that’s it for now peace and go buy persona 5.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Fantasy VII Remake: a pretty good title but.....the fandom is another story!

               It's almost been a year since final fantasy vii remake was released on the ps4 and my opinions of the game is that for c...